Monday, January 4, 2010

T'was The Wednesday Before Christmas

We've been struggling a bit since we moved abruptly in August. Partly because we were very happy where we were. However, we felt strongly that we were supposed to move. We fought what we wanted to do and did what we were suppose to do. That being said, at times it has felt like we jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. My in-laws have been struggling even more than I could have imagined and we have been trying to help them as much as possible...which hasn't been much since it took Sam several months (yes, months) to find a good job. With the holidays approaching life in general seemed like a cruel joke. We teased that the kids were going to get I.O.U.s for Christmas. The sad part is we really weren't teasing. We tried to focus on the true meaning of Christmas instead of the commercialized materialistic meaning of Christmas that we are all bombarded with. All the while I worried. Sam started his new job the end of November but, the way pay periods fell we didn't know until a few days before Christmas whether we would be able to have gifts for our children. The Wednesday before Christmas my father-in-law finds wrapped Christmas presents on our front porch. I came down stairs that morning to find gifts under the tree for my children and a card for Sam and me. I open the Christmas card made out to Sam and Holly to find a precious handmade card with a beautiful heartfelt Christmas wish and "We love you"; there was no signature. Enclosed was a generous monetary gift that left me humbled, grateful, and emotional. I have NO idea who was responsible for this very thoughtful and loving gift...I like to think of them as angels. I can tell you that I felt the true love of Christ that day. These angels were commissioned by my Heavenly Father to deliver a message to me. The message being that my Savior is aware of my worries and trials. He is mindful of me and He loves me. This too shall pass and I will be stronger for it. If I am faithful everything will work out as He has planned for me in His time. I still don't know who delivered those gifts but, the spiritual gift they gave me was much greater than the tangible gifts. They have strengthened my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and for that I am forever grateful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you! I am so glad that you and your family are being watched after and blessed! We miss you and your family so incredibly much!

James and Jade Bethers said...

Amen to that! I had the same thing happen to me and my family....What a blessing! Hope you guys have a great new year and things start picking up!

Emily Ringel said...

Thank you for that touching story and reminder of our Heavenly Father's love. We love you guys lots and are glad that Heavenly Father has angels there to help you. Wish we could do more from here, but know that we're thinking of you OFTEN! Can't tell you how many times this last month Nate mentioned Sam and how he wished he were here!

Pattersonfamilyof4 said...

And that is why I love the Christmas season. It also renews my belief that there are nice people in the world who really know the true meaning of Christmas.

Nick and Jen said...

I am so grateful to have heard this along with so many other wonderful stories this Christmas season! Heavenly Father is truly watching out for us. You and your family are amazing people! You bless so many lives! I am so grateful to have gotten to know you!

~The Dippold's said...

That just brought tears to my eyes reading it. What an amazing story. I too am grateful for the spirit of service that is felt so strong at Christmas time. If we could all continue it throughout the year we would come closer to Christ and come to know what truly matters in life. Thanks for sharing!

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Thanks for leaving a comment! I heart blog stalkers! lol Thanks for coming out of the wood works and saying hi :) Good luck with your blog! Let me know if you have any questions.
happy blogging,
Linda