Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Confessions of a self-proclaimed cheap skate


Love to yard sale...it is honestly one of my favorite things to do...other than crafts and spending time with my family of course.  I love to plunder through other people's trash.  I had only been to one since I have been here...until this weekend.  I thought I would share some of my new found treasure.  I'm in the process of trying to pack up my house for a move.  Is it crazy to buy someone else's junk only to add to the never ending stacks of my own junk?  I think not.  Why you ask?  Because it is treasure.  Don't misunderstand me some of what you dig through is just rubbish, but if you look closely and keep an open mind you might find treasure.  Yard sales and thrift stores are treasure troves and the treasure hunt gives me a rush (I'm strange...I know.)  


I picked up these adorable lamps at a moving sale for $3 each.


Yes, you are looking at a potty seat.  Ross picked this out at a garage sale for $1.  We are trying to start potty training, but when the trainee has no interest that makes things a little difficult.  He is perfectly happy being the designated toilet flusher.  When he started calling this "Ross' potty" I got so excited.  I hope since he picked it out and it was his idea maybe he will actually use it soon.  Oh, by the way it was very clean and I thoroughly sanitized it when we got home.  I wish I would have been fast enough with the camera to get a pic of him sitting in (not on) the potty, fully clothed with the seat around his neck.  


Our next item of the day is a charming , rustic,  star wind chime being shown by my partner in crime.  Ross had fun checking out all the stuff.   I picked up this beauty for .50.  I haven't decided if I'm going to leave it the way it is, paint it, or maybe embellish it with beads.  So many options.  What do you think?



These are hen-and-chicks (I'm not sure why the pic posted like that...sorry.  Just tilt your head to the right and you'll be able to see it better.)  These are super easy to grow and very hard to kill.  I bought a bread bag full of starts for $1.50.  The lady said there were about 10 starts in each bag.  There are easily 20.  

Check out these beautiful tomato plants.  I got these for $1 each.  I thought I better get three and hopefully at least one of them will survive my tender loving care.  If you have read my earlier post you know I have had very little luck with seeds...hopefully I can keep these established plants alive and have some scrumptious tomatoes.   I can't wait for homemade salsa and fried green tomatoes.....yum.  I really hope I don't kill these.

I have killed many plants over the years, but I am getting better.  I actually have a few house plants that have survived for more than a year now....yay!  I think plants make a house feel so cozy and they add a wonderful energy to a loving home.  I bought both of these together for $5...I thought that was reasonable since the pots alone would cost at least twice that at the garden store.

I also found a twin bed with an oak head board for $15.  I'll post a pic of it later.  I took it to storage because my house is full of boxes.  

3 comments:

Nick and Jen said...

I have never been into yard sales and therefore I forget about them until someone shows me their incredible great finds. I need to remember to go!!! Love the things you found. With the wind chime...I like how it is, but made a maroonish red color spray paint or something would be nice as well. That's my thought.

Good luck with the tomatoes. I wanted to do on in our big pot we have outside. I hope it's not too late?!

Layla's will go in the potty every so often, but other wise she isn't interested in it either. I hope that changes by her third birthday in October. I forgot...when is Ross's birthday?

Pattersonfamilyof4 said...

What great finds! Every weekend I keep thinking I'm going to get out and take advantage of all the yard sales but then each weekend finds me out of town. I'm jealous of the tomatoe plants! By the way we already miss you guys living next door; Wy wanted to play with Ross today and I had a hard time explaining why he couldn't do that.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I work in casting at a major NYC television production company. We’re casting a series for TLC that follows families, couples or individuals who are obsessive about living well on very little. I came across your blog and thought you matched what we were looking for. I'd like to learn more about your budgeted lifestyle. If interested, please respond with a contact number to further discuss the project.
Sincerely,
Kelly Perez